- Be nice to the newbies. Remember your first time in the weightroom or trying a danceFIT class? It takes courage to join (or re-join) a fitness club. Support in the form of a smile can make a big difference!
- Clean the equipment after you use it. Every club has spray bottles and/or antiseptic wipes. Use them… every time you use a mat or a machine.
- Follow the rules. Is there a time limit using the treadmill? A rule about cell phones? Being a renegade at the gym isn’t cool – it’s disruptive. Be respectful and do your part to help keep things running smooth.
- Try a new class. Changing things up, or adding a little extra, is a great way to motivate yourself and dodge the dreaded fitness plateau. (Pssst… you’ll also be less likely to resent it when someone stands in “your spot” during “your class”.)
- Exercise patience. The hard-working folks at reception are doing their best juggling routine, the changerooms are packed, the spin class is full. You’re here to exercise, right? Here’s your chance to exercise patience.
- Be organized. It’s the busiest month of the year … not just at the gym! Build a little extra time into your schedule in anticipation of slower starts. If you end up early you can use that time to wish your gym-pals happy new year!
- Make a cool new soundtrack. In my opinion, everything is more fun when you’re grooving to new music! My current faves are Madonna’s “Living for Love” and AronChupa’s “I’m an Albatraoz”.
- Hydrate, get adequate rest, eat more leafy greens. OK, this may not seem gym specific however it will help! A healthier you = a happier you.
- GO TO THE GYM IN JANUARY. This one is key! The only way to make the most of your time is to actually show up! #2015WorthIT
Ok folks, those are my top suggestions for enjoying the gym in January. What are your January-gym survival tips?